Pinoy Box Break

36 dead While 147 Injured at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport

by | Posted on: June 29th, 2016 | No Comments | World News

Binali Yildirim , the Turkish Prime Minister stated Wednesday that early indications suggested Daesh was associated with a triple suicide bombing at Istanbul airport, as he revealed the death count in the strike had gone up to 36.

15TurkeyBlast

startribune

Yildrim said the dead involved tourists, however provided zero additional information. Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag placed the number of injured at 147.

The attack caused the suspension of all air flights at the airport.

Three assailants started out spraying bullets towards airport guards at the terminal entry ways and a shootout erupted just before they blew themselves up one at a time at approximately 10:00pm Tuesday, said Turkish authorities.

Yildirim mentioned the suicide bombers had arrived using a taxi cab and opened fire on travelers with automatic rifles prior to blowing themselves up.

Security camera video footage widely moved on social media seemed to record two of the explosions. In a single clip a massive ball of flame erupts at an entrance towards the terminal building, spreading frightened individuals.

Yet another video clip shows a black-clad attacker operating within the building prior to collapsing to the floor – surprisingly felled by a police bullet – and exploding himself up.

An AFP photographer found bodies covered with sheets at the terminal, which bore hefty damage coming from the explosions.

Bullet holes peppered the windows as well as destroyed glass lay on the ground, while deserted travel luggage was tossed all over the place.

Lots of police and also firefighters together with forensic officers were at the scene.

Somebody came and shot at us and then my sister was running,” Otfah Mohamed Abdullah told AFP.

I don’t know which way she was running and after that I was falling down. I was on the ground till he finished… I can’t find my sister.

There was panic at the nearest hospital in Istanbul’s Bakirkoy district, which was inundated with relatives desperate for news of loved ones.

Brussels airport, itself the scene of suicide bombings just months ago, tweeted condolences, saying: “Our thoughts are with the victims of the attacks at @istanbulairport.”

Security expert Abdullah Agar told CNN Turk the attack bore the hallmarks of the Islamic State group.

It really bears a resemblance to their methods,” he said in reference to the Brussels bombings, which were claimed by IS.

The US along with French consulates cautioned people to stay away from the area.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for a global “joint fight” versus terror following the attack, the fourth lethal bombing in Istanbul this year alone.

There wasn’t any immediate claim of responsibility for the strike, which caused the suspension of all air flights at Turkey’s busiest airport.

The US condemned what it referred to as “heinous” bombing and gun attack, pledging “steadfast” support for Turkey.

Ataturk International Airport, like Brussels Airport which was attacked earlier this year, is a symbol of international connections and the ties that bind us together,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said in a statement.

We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner, along with all of our friends and allies around the world, as we continue to confront the threat of terrorism.

Presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump both responded to the attacks.

Yet another terrorist attack, this time in Turkey. Will the world ever realize what is going on? So sad,” Trump tweeted.

Clinton’s Twitter account tweeted: “‘All Americans stand united with the people of Turkey against this campaign of hatred and violence‘ -Hillary”.

Leave a Reply