The Barangay Ginebra San Miguel is scheduled for a head-to-head game against the NorthPort Batang Pier at 7:00 P.M. on September 5, 2018 live from the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Third wins in a row is what the Gin Kings are eyeing before the long break as the Gilas Pilipinas preparing for the 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers. For the Batang Pier, they will be gunning for their first victory backed up by their finally-now-complete lineup.
With less than a week, the Gin Kings have to play three games to start their 2018 PBA Governors’ Cup journey. They have secured their first two games by beating the Columbian Dyip in their conference opener then followed by the Alaska Aces.
Ginebra’s biggest challenge so far was against Alaska where the team of coach Alex Compton were unbeaten after their three outings prior to their match against team NSD.
2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Best Import Awardee Justin Brownlee was again at his best as he scorched the Aces with his almost triple-double performance. Brownlee tallied with 45 points, eleven rebounds and dished out nine assists.
Japeth Aguilar who continue to feel some pain due to his injury went unstoppable in the second half of the Alaska versus Ginebra duel. Aguilar scored 24 points and grabbed ten boards.
Despite of his team amazing performance against one of the early top teams of the third conference, Ginebra coach Tim Cone still cautious playing against NorthPort now that Stanley Pringle and Sean Anthony is back in their tonight’s lineup.
“With Pringle and Anthony back in the fold, NorthPort is a completely different team than what we’ve seen so far this conference,” said Cone.
“With those guys, they are true contenders. It’s our third game in six days so energy will be a concern for us. We know we have a battle in our hand,” Cone added.
Pringle will be playing his first PBA game after joining the Gilas Pilipinas in Jakarta, Indonesia for the 2018 Asian Games while Anthony is now healthy after he recovered from his left calf injury which he got during the conference break.
“I was cleared to start trying to play full-court practice this (Friday) morning by the doctor,” Anthony said.